Friday, May 02, 2008

What's that word again... oh yeah Consistency!

The problem with starting fresh... is starting. :)

Sorry for the big gap here, from now on, barring any big issues I plan on doing a Mon, Wed, Fri posting schedule here from now on. At least until one other change I have planned comes along, though that may be a while out yet.

I mentioned on the 21st how the healing method shown in The Begotten raised some questions for me and wondered if there wasn't something Christian fantasy writers could glean from the instance.

The main reason I started down this train of thought is that usually when a character in the story is "gifted" there tends to be more of an emphasis on the power emanating from that character themselves in a drastic and obvious way, even if the character doesn't know about the gift.

That is what struck me most about the first instance of healing, and shifted me from reading this as a fantasy mindset into a historical with spiritual elements mindset. Daria felt to me like she played just a small roll in that first healing, that came with so much effort, that she didn't feel particularly "gifted".

Though the second instance of healing was much more dramatic, and leads me to think there is a progression of the gift as Daria accepts it and grows in her faith.

So what do I take away from this?

Perhaps when we're writing fantasy, we can easily tend to fall toward the gifts of our characters (especially the supernatual ones) being too focused around that character and less around them being a conduit for God's power.

Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter