Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Intentional Themeing

So, yesterday I did mention that there was an intentional sub-theme that I wanted to work into Starfire.

The basic elements needed to weave this theme into the story were already present when it struck me. The events and characters naturally lended themselves toward this. And in fact this is a theme I intend to look at throughout the entire trilogy.

You see, I wanted to explore the relationships between Christians and Non-Christians as well as the dynamics of sharing faith and how the way we live our lives impacts our witness and how others view Christianity.

Much of this idea was sparked by my reading of Permission Evangelism by Michael Simpson.

This book discusses much of how the world already has a pre-made mindset of just what it means to be a Christian, and what people will immediately assume when they hear that term.

I wanted to explore that through the relationships between three of my main characters (Rathe, Struth, and Goshren) in Starfire. To look at how our typical "Christianese" and comman language can affect someone coming from a totally different worldview.

We're living in a culture that no longer accepts that there is an Absolute Truth out there. And that views Christians most often as angry, close minded, bigots. Or just simple minded fools.

Yet, even when I was in college, we were taught ways of evangelising that didn't take this into account.

Now you won't find Earthling/American Christianese in Starfire, but a reader familiar with the common platitudes and sayings within the Church will probably be able to pick out some of the Saurian equivalents.

I guess this would be my "preaching to the choir" theme. Where I try and show that we as Christians need to remember that we need to be sensitive to not only the message that we speak, but the message that we live.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca LuElla Miller said...

Good stuff, Stuart. This is what I like to see--writers who think, who have something they believe, who want to communicate that to others, and who use story as the vehicle.

Christians shouldn't have to apologize for doing this, and as long as we don't preach it, I think we can come out of the closet as "Themers." Hahah!

Becky

6:53 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Stuart said...

Hehe, very true Becky.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

7:44 AM, June 07, 2006  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

See, now this just shows the amount of detail you put into this, that you've integrated preconceived religious notions in your civilization. Good thinking, dude.

Camy

3:10 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Tiffany Amber Stockton said...

I'm with Camy. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into the basic principles of the story. Impressive. I just get an idea in my head, some characters and let the story flow. A loose theme at the beginning, but it deepens as the story progresses.

And this topic is an excellent one. If you decide to ABA, it could have even more of an impact because it would be hitting the very ones who hold that mistaken belief about Christians.

Tiff

8:44 PM, June 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter