Thursday, July 06, 2006

Feeling Stupid

Ever have those days where it seems everybody else is 1,000x smarter and deeper and more authentic than you? I get that feeling all the time, especially when it comes to writing.

I read and hear all sorts of profound and detailed posts talking about theme, meaning, humanity, symbolism, realism, and dozens of other things in writing, and I get the feeling that all I write is schock and nobody in their right mind would ever read the stuff.

You see I never got into this writing thing as a way to impart incredible truths or new life insights to people. Those are just a side effect of the process.

What I got into writing for was the chance to discover and explore new worlds with people. To develop my own concepts on what life would be like if we lived in a world with dragons or space travel, or both.

I've never been able to fully see any of my stories as stand-alone pieces, but always more of just a little window into a portion of a span of time in a grand history and future, that gives us a little insight into a world and its inhabitants.

The act of discovery and creation is what gives me the biggest thrill in writing, as well as getting to share what I find with others. My focus has rarely been on bringing out one big truth, but more on just exploring what truths come out in the stories I write as a part of world discovery.

Anyway that's enough rambling for now, and I'm sure I'll contradict myself at some point in the future as a nother random thought spurts from my fingers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

I love it. Create those worlds for the sheer joy of creating them. That's the kind of world I want to visit.

On feeling stupid, I'm married to this guy. I feel that way all the time.

2:29 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Shannon McNear said...

You are who God created you to be ... and so are the others. None of us is more vital than anyone else in the structure of the Kingdom. :-)

I second what Rebecca said--keep writing, keep creating.

11:44 AM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

I am about as deep as a puddle. I am REALLY not a very profound blogger or writer. It's not that I'm not a profound person, because I kind of hope that I am. But I like light, airy, fluffy posts. Light, airy, fluffy fiction. Little brain energy required. That's me. :)

Just write what you want. I am.

Camy

12:54 AM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter